What We Do
What our missionaries gain in their week of service:
- Small group training by in personal development skills from experts in compassionate care (Past topics have included compassionate listening, mindfulness, palliative care, education in dementia, and others)
- Spiritual retreat with daily mass and prayer and plenty of time for reflection (Please note: we do not require that participants be Catholic; however, we ask that all applicants be willing to participate in the spiritual component of the program)
- Irreplaceable satisfaction from gifting your time and love to the elderly. Our missionaries report, time and again, that spending time with the residents is an unexpected gift that they didn’t know they needed
- A new network of friends and Sisters who are passionate about service to the elderly.
- An opportunity to discern God’s plan for your future. Several missionaries have found their vocations in the Carmelite order (Please note: you do not have to be actively discerning religious life to participate in SALT; however, it is a perfect opportunity to do so)
- FREE Room and Board for all participants! (Please note: you are responsible for paying for travel)
Please check out our About Us pages to learn more about our staff, the locations of our program, and the history of our mission! Also click here to view Frequently Asked Questions (Updated for 2021 Program).
Sr. Mary O'Donovan will lead each program but the daily schedule may vary according to the home’s needs. Examples of some past group activities have included happy hour, bingo, party, singalong, ice cream making, memory albums, travelogues, beauty parlor, tea party, wine and cheese social, walks outdoors, arts and crafts, and pet therapy.
If you practice an art, sport, craft or have a skill, we want to know about it and give you the chance to use it for the residents! Below is a typical day at SALT:
- 7:30am- Breakfast
- 8:15-8:45- Group prayer and Learning Byte Session
- 8:45-9:45am- One-on-one visits or group activities
- 9:45am- Mass
- 10:30am-12pm- One-on-one visits or activities
- 12-1pm- Lunch and break
- 1-4:30pm- more group or one-on-on visits
- 5pm- Evening prayer
- 5:45pm- Dinner
- Missionary outing to local tourist site